Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sector 7


Sector 7, a Caldecott Honor Book written by David Wiesner, relies solely on the illustrations to tell the story of a boy that takes a fantastic journey from the top of the Empire State Building to a station in the sky that gives clouds their destination for the day. The boy's imagination and creative drawings stir up some trouble with those in charge of cloud arrivals and departures. As I "read" Sector 7 it reminded me a bit of Chris Van Allsburg's work. Where does he come up with those incredible ideas? Wiesner's illustrations and story idea gave me that same thought. I really enjoyed the glimpse into his magical world. Children and adults will remember, as I do, a time when they gazed at the sky and searched for fanciful shapes, pictures, and animals. Students would have a fun time writing their own version of the story for Sector 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment